This book by Shashi Tharoor tries to bring out the major events that has shaped India in the first 50 years after independence. He discusses India's freedom, democracy, socialism, secularism, caste system, illiteracy, corruption, politics, poverty, bureaucracy, population, emergency, riots, elections and the Gandhi dynasty. The book touches on all major events that has created the nation as it is today.Mr Tharoor touches on the pluralist nature of India and how it has suffered due to the hindu-muslim issues, caste politics and corruption. He bemoans the riots that followed Babri Masjid and is hurt by seeing the extremism in 'hindu' religion which for centuries has been the most resilient. It is indeed remarkable that being an NRI how closely he has follwed indian politics intricately.
The book is very thought provoking. For young Indians, like me, who have seen and grown up mostly in the India post-globalization (or coca-coloziation as shashi tharoor puts it :) ) this book opens the doors of the past. I believe its a good read for a person interested in India and its democracy.
I must say that this book did enlighten me in one aspect. The author brings this fact out in several places in the book. The 'poor' and 'very poor' Indians go in large numbers to vote. They consider it their right to vote. However, its the educated Indians who do not exercise this most important 'right' in India.
I really really believe its WE the people who can change the country unfortunately, we do not take active interest. Most of us believe that 'nothing' can change.. or rather move on with the line: 'this is how it works in India'. I hope this election there are a many more 'youths' in India who vote. The 'jago re' campaign aims to bring the masses to the polling booth.
I hope the young educated Indians are watching. What is a democracy if people do not vote! I wish I could vote in India.
Jaago Re!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment