Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Support Common Wealth 2010

Did anyone know that the first Asian Games were held in India in March 1951? 

India was a 3.5 year old democracy trying to forget the partition, build a nation, fight for Kashmir, prepare for the first democratic election to be held in 1952, establish the first IIT in Kharagpur and yet able to host the very first ASIAD. The games, though small,  had 11 nations, 489 athletes and 57 events. New Delhi again played host to Asian Games in 1982. This time there were 23 Nations, 3411 athletes and 147 events.

I am told that in 1982 my house got a TV just before the games so that we could watch it on Doordarshan. Though at the age of 1, I don't think I watched much, but the games were important to a common man who lived in Trivandrum nearly 3000 kms away. It was his way to appreciate the games and to be a part in his own way.

Nearly, 60 years after the first ASIAD and 28 years after 1982 there comes the Common Wealth Games. 2010 in New Delhi. The games involve 73 nations,  more than 4000 athletes and 285 events. These numbers are not very high compared to the 1982 games. India should be proud to hold these games as proud as Beijing was to conduct the Olympics and as proud as South Africa was to have the Soccer Wold Cup 2010. 

India has caught the world's attention because of it's economy, IT industry and other service sectors. It's time we show that we do want to be known as a sporting nation as well. Its time we appreciate the talent we have in our country and promote sporting events. It's time to get over cricket and Ekta Kapoor TV serials.

Alas, there has been much said about corruption, bad hygiene standards and how the Common Wealth Games are already a faliure. I believe the system is corrupt, I believe there has been massive levels of corruption yet, as an Indian I want the games to be a success. I want MY country to be able to hold the games well. Yet, I am deeply saddned when modern day icons like Chetan Bhagat tell the readers to skip the games in his column "Please don't cheer the 2010 loot fest". He opposes celebrating the games on pretext of National Pride. He gives a small story about a lady who suffered silently when her husband ill-treated her and covers up her bruises to the outside world. The reason being 'family pride'. The author warns that bruises soon become fractures and fractures become near fatal injuries. He goes on to say:
"But modern Indian wives do not stay silent and suffering anymore. College unions, schools and individuals should take a stand and make clear — we do not support these Games. Just as Gandhiji figured, the oppressor can oppress us; it cannot make us cooperate. "

How can not supporting the games become Gandhian principles? I believe Gandhian principles stand against corruption but do they stand against the image of India? Gandhi ji stood for Indian masses but what about the athletes who are Indian citizens too. First, they don't get support of any form from the Government, secondly their Sports Ministry is corrupt and finally, there have been doping allegations against a couple. But there are some aspiring athletes for whom these games may be a chance to showcase their talent for the first time. There are many athletes who never make it to the Olympics but for them these are the games they can acheive their dreams. Are they also supposed to boycott the games? Is their hardwork not anything? 

I support the Common Wealth Games for the athletes who are participating. I wish every athlete the best for the games. Yes, change must come, housekeeping must be done and all corruption charges must be placed. I also hope this happens publicly for everyone to watch. But first I hope the games are a success and I support the Common Wealth Games for MY country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
eXTReMe Tracker