Friday, May 21, 2010

How to be Idle??? yes... you read right!

Yes, there is a book for that! and pretty soon there might be an app for that ! ;)

There are some books you read out of interest either for the topic or the author, then there are some super-hyped books you read because of the media, then there are some books you read on recommendation of others. Finally there are some which are read because you are curious. This was one such curious book for me that when I read the title my mind went "what the hell!".

It all started with a reference from a friends blog.Well it wasn't exactly a recommendation cause he dint' read it or review it but when I saw the title I curious to know what would there be to write a book on it! I picked it up from NYPL and started really quick on my journey back home.

This book beings with 8:00 am and how the alarm clock is the most evil invention for mankind that makes a person get up. With the first ring of the alarm clock the mind subconsciously lists tasks to be done be it personal or work related. There are hardly any days we just wake up to be idle! Ya, true but then the book goes on a whole narration of a 24 hour day of how  a person can be idle. Reading the book the author narrates every hour of how a person could be doing some stuff and yet be totally idle like reading, nap, fishing, drinking, long lunches, walks, parties etc etc. I was a little confused on how I'll be "idle" if I'm doing all these activities. But the writers point is to celebrate the human life compared to the busy and fast paced life that we lead.

My personal opinion of the book was a little stressful. I could not understand the extreme amount of planning to be idle. The hour by hour narration of the idleness lost me. Of course what was I expecting? Well actually nothing. The expectations were not very high to begin with. The content is worth writing an article in a news paper or magazine but converted to a book nah! Soon I find out that the author  Tom Hodgkinson is  indeed the founding editor of the magazine Idler. Obviously there are a people inspired by this idleness and celebration of humane nature blah blah... read some reviews on amazon!

Seriously, I don't think most people need to get tips on how to be idle. Idleness is pretty much a personal thing. I love to sit on my rocking chair and look out of the window .... lost in my thoughts. To annoyance of many people it comes pretty naturally to me ;) but if you do need tips then this is a book for you.

Idle mind is a devils workshop.. we've heard that time and again. Are you still sure you want to be idle????

My Rating: 3.0/10.0

Note: picture courtesy Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
eXTReMe Tracker