Monday, December 05, 2011

Bus No. 42

There has to be something about the bus no# 42 that runs crosstown on 42nd street. I've had so many opportunities to take that bus but I always walked. I took the train cross from Lexington to 7th Ave and then I would walk across to 12th Ave. I thought about it a couple times when it was cold, when it was raining or when I was getting late. However, taking the bus never happened... either I waited and it would not show up or I would start walking and see it pass.

Finally I got the opportunity this fall to take the bus. I had to get the Chinese visa and the embassy was on the corner of 42nd Street and 12th Ave. I worked on 42nd and Lexington Ave which was all the way on the west side. So the best way to get to and from my destination was the bus. So I thought I'd take it on my way back. As I started back from the embassy at 1.45 I hopped into the bus. The driver was a funny guy who gave us updates about the buildings we were passing. He was charming and talking to passengers getting onto the bus. It took us around 15 mins to reach time square area or 42nd and 7th Ave and thats how long it takes to walk that way. But the sheer number of red lights and stops on the way make it just worth walking than sitting on the bus. At the 7th ave stop the driver gives an adivce to all his passengers. If you have to get cross town fast then please make a free swtich to the subway :)

If you have taken a bus in India you would know that the bus stops where the driver pleases. So if its a red light and bus stops at this side of the light then its declared the stop and the passengers are let off or on. When I was in 5th standard I started traveling by public buses. I remember running from one end of the bus stand all the way across the street on the other end to just make it. The bus driver would stop where he pleased based on the traffic ahead and the conductor of the bus generally agreed. So the bus stand also extended to a very long area. However, the buses in NYC seemed to be particular about their stop. So even though the passengers were standing at the door he would still wait for the signal to turn green drive the bus to the bus stop on the other side of the street and only then open the door. So we would be at the bus stand and just as we are ready to go we would be greeted with the next red light. This way the bus could be given the award for its pace and the driver for his patience.

I stayed on as we slowly crossed time square and Bryant park. The number of tourists running around, crossing and walking is just enough to cause the traffic to stop every now and then. So we slowly reached 5th Ave. At which point I lost patience and decided to walk the rest. With UN in session as the bus inched closer to 1st Ave it would get slower and even slower that time square looked fast :)

I walked out of the bus just to read on NY times the next day that based on data bus no 42 has been awarded as is the slowest bus in NYC and if you need to save time just hop onto the subway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
eXTReMe Tracker