Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Welcome to Caneda

Like a poor, hungry Indian I din't have money to visit France but that didn't stop me from visiting the France in the American Continent i,e apna Canedaaa. Montreal, Canada a trip to Europe without the 8 plane ride and the price tag. Just at a driving distance is a nice substitute. So the final trip of the summer '09 cum long drive (very long as it turned out to be!) cum the psuedo Euro trip ;)

Montreal and Qubec City it was decided. Montreal an 6.5 hour drive from NYC(as per google maps) turned out to be 10 hour long when the Canadian entry point decided to make everyone (irrespective of nationality) wait in line for 2.5 hours. Well at least they were impartial or else the wait would have felt much longer. At 3 am finally we entered Canada and Montreal was the first stop. Amazing place with the Notre Dame and of course the pier @ night.





Qubec City was out of the world and the best city that I've seen so far. It did feel like being a part of history and the 1600's that the city represented. The french culture and architecture intermixed with British is amazing.

-40 deg C.... yes -40 deg C is the winter temperature. As any south Indian I think I'm suited for 40 deg C that when the temperature drops to 20 C I feel cold ;) I was shivering even with the thought of -40 C. The best joke on temperature I've ever heard was the bus driver: "In winter the temperatures are really cold... up to -40 C. It gets so cold that once you step out of the house just in a few seconds you become a Popsicle. So be careful about your expression because that's how your face is going to be the whole day!" :)))))))

A good take away that I can have NY built is... Underground City built in Montreal to survive winter seems to be just the way to keep people alive. Its amazing that most of Montreal is connected underground including apmts, hotels, museums, offices etc etc. wow!

Bonjour... ahem.. there lies the beginning and end of my French. Some day i'll visit the real France but Qubec City and Montreal will still be special :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
eXTReMe Tracker