I met a new student recently and knowing that i'm from Trivandrum he started off in malayalam! He was from Shasthamangalam, TVM and was very happy to find another one from there in Kansas. Well he went on to describe to me in detail which lane he lived in and as he was doing so i stood there amused. It was really interesting to see that the people we meet we actuallly try to find the "commonness". well did i really have anything in common??????
Being brought up in Kerala my family was very north indian and all my friends we a "BIG" fan of the food i took for lunch. [Now u know y i'm thin ;-)] My family was very different from a mallu family and amongst everyone at home i had the most "malluness" in me :-P. I speak malayalam quiet well, enjoy mallu movies, love malayali foodddddddd and mohanlal :-D.
This idea of mine was changed when i was in hostel at REC Calicut. It was within a day that i realized i was not at all like a mallu in anyway... hmmmm atleast the habits were farrrrrrrr apart ;-). So i realized i'm a north indian and thats due to the way i'm brought up at home. The day I stepped into Hyderabad I had friends who were from Delhi and again I was in an identity crisis cause I was not them. Well they teased me and called me a "mallu" for everything i did.
Now i'm confused... n I wonder wat color are my feathers????? ;-)
Being brought up in Kerala my family was very north indian and all my friends we a "BIG" fan of the food i took for lunch. [Now u know y i'm thin ;-)] My family was very different from a mallu family and amongst everyone at home i had the most "malluness" in me :-P. I speak malayalam quiet well, enjoy mallu movies, love malayali foodddddddd and mohanlal :-D.
This idea of mine was changed when i was in hostel at REC Calicut. It was within a day that i realized i was not at all like a mallu in anyway... hmmmm atleast the habits were farrrrrrrr apart ;-). So i realized i'm a north indian and thats due to the way i'm brought up at home. The day I stepped into Hyderabad I had friends who were from Delhi and again I was in an identity crisis cause I was not them. Well they teased me and called me a "mallu" for everything i did.
Now i'm confused... n I wonder wat color are my feathers????? ;-)


I would say... a little of Saffron, a little of White and a little of Green. Don't bother what color is your feather. Just see how high you fly with that feather. But... I like the way you write. Kudos!!
ReplyDeleteinteresting point king ;-)...there is so much of 'state-ism' bound by the language that you hardly think above it...
ReplyDeleteKamana, I so agree with you. It is exactly my situation..."na ghar ke na ghaat ke" Vs "best of both worlds" situation!
ReplyDeleteMy north indian friends/cousins greet me with "aiyyo" and the hac friends would tease me with stories about my dulha comin on a camel wearing a frock back in school, my mallu friends pulled my leg everytime I looked out when it was raining and never understood that it is not aloo chappathi but aloo paratha!
yup pooja.. ur in the exact same spot!
ReplyDelete