Again Rema dosent pick her phone calls.... and she tells me network problem! Nithya ka bhi yehi haal hai... well i never thought I wud hear this excuse in US!!! I generally never missed a call... but ya sometimes i used to have special calls that were meant to me "missed" ;).
I read it online that India is world famous for its missed call rates.. n this specialized technique comes handy when just an indication needs to be given. I had also been a part of this missed call community when I initially started using the cell phone in Hyderabad. Its interesting to see that it was so well coordinated that each missed call meant another thing. For eg: suppose Swati (my roomy) gave me a missed call n I was not in office then I gave her a missed call back and she undertood based on the time of the day where I wud be.... again she knows when she shud be expecting me... n wud start giving me missed if i got delayed..heheheheeee.... again i reciprocated! The moment i entered the theatre IMAX i wud give her a missed.. a "i've reached" message... so that she cud look out for me, ofcourse its easy to spot me in a crowd ;). We kind of got so used to it.. that when we used to come back from office together she wud get down her bldg n give me a missed... n i was supposed to be out of mine... else she wud be up there at my place.. yelling her throat out... ;)... ya seriously yelling...!!!!!!
Guys used to get amazed by the number of missed calls we gave each other.. n the ease with which we understood.... there was hardly any mixup ... ya hardly! Rather the conversations were not "ki call karke bola tha na"... but like..."Missed to mari thi na!".
Cell phones can be fun... games, pictures, sms's, ringtones... wrong pictures... of wrong people... heheheee.... funny sms's... sardarji jokes, wishes for nearly every occasion, cartoons..... ringtones of the latest top number, fav movies, diff ringtones for diff ppl... etc etc... mobile was a topic of dicussion in itself... a timepass for anyone..anyday!
Reliance changed India in a big way.. it just brought in the cellphone culture.... there was cell now in everyone's hand... n everyone was connected. I remember sitting in an auto where as usual I managed to confuse the driver about where I needed to go. He turned n said "Pedikyanda" (dont worry)... pulled out his brand new cell phone.. wiped its panel... for the shine, dialled a number n got the where abouts in a few minutes. Thanks to Reliance I reached my destination :).
I grew out of the missed call community soon... not because it was not working... but because in the Friendz n Family connection it wud hardly cost me to call my friends in hyd. Slowly converted the missed -> calls... n slowly lost touch of the culture. I just remembered the whole fun when i called nithya n rema n the call was MISSED!
My cell phone is ringing and an really old friend's calling... he tells me about his accident in Florida that happened day before yesterday... he was on I-4 at the speed of 70mph when suddenly he heard some sound... before he cud pull over his car spun around. Next thing he cud see he was rolling upside down and finally landed inverted. He removed his seat belt, pulled himself out... n sat down holding his bleeding head. Luckily he's safe and has escaped with minor injuries.
That reminds me... I shuld not miss calls... maybe someone needs me!
V Madhavan Nair (1945-2025)
6 months ago


sahi likha hain lambu..
ReplyDeletethank you tingu..:P
ReplyDelete